- The “Castleblayney Cancer Society” is a non-profit charitable organisation and funds are raised to offer financial aid and support to local cancer patients and some other rapid debilitating illnesses.
- Treatment not covered by private health insurance or the H.S.E. may, at the discretion of the Committee be funded on request.
- The fund may also be used, at the Committee’s discretion, to help meet other necessary expenses resulting directly from the patient’s illness – expenses not covered by Illness Benefit, or Social Welfare.
- All monies dispensed to patients from the fund are on a confidential basis.
- Applications for grants are dealt with by two of the Office Bearers.
- Application to the fund may be made informally through any member of the committee or submitted through the G.P.,Public Health Nurses or Palliative Care Nurses.
- An Annual Public Report is prepared by the Office Bearers of the Committee and is available for inspection on request.
- Two Trustees of the fund are appointed from the committee and have responsibility for the administration of the fund in conjunction with the committee.
- The Committee regards itself primarily as a support group for cancer sufferers. It therefore has a four fold function:
Fund-raising and supporting fund-raising events organised by the public for the committee.
Dispensing funds to applicants.
Supporting education and research in cancer management and prevention.
Supporting the work of the Irish Cancer Society by promoting Daffodil Day.
- Decisions regarding the work of the Committee are made at properly convened meetings.
- One third of the number of Committee members form a quorum.
- All work of Committee members is voluntary i.e. unpaid basis.
- The Committee meets at least once a year and any other meetings as necessary.
- Special meetings may be called by the Office Bearers as required..
- Two trustees are appointed at the A.G.M. and should serve a minimum of three years.
- In the event of the Committee being disbanded or failing to meet a full calendar year, the Trustees are responsible for either :
Setting up a new Committee
Dispensing the remaining funds to Cancer Care at their discretion.
The Office Bearers include a Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer and P.R.O. These Office Bearers are elected annually.
Officers of Castleblayney Cancer Society are as follows:
Chairperson: Mairead McGuinness
Secretary: Teresa McGuigan
Treasurer: Mary Connelly
PRO: Tracey Liddy O’Connor
Ruth McCully, Tina Carragher, Ursula McGuigan, Lexie Oliver, Dr Mary Flanagan, Mary Smith, Linda Finnegan, Deirdre McGinn, Pete Mc Mahon, Genevieve McEneaney, Peter McCaughey, Leslie Hannon, Mary Callaghan, Mary McMahon and Fr Pat McHugh.
- This Constitution will be reviewed regularly and updated if necessary.